1. SEO Industry is poised to reach $80 billion.
Although it is over 20 years old, the search engine optimization industry continues to grow. At close to 80 billion dollars per year, it is currently larger than Google Ads and Facebook Ads. We like to believe this is for a reason…
2. If done right, SEO can drive a 14.6% conversion rate.
Traditional strategies (print, ads etc) on average see a 1.7% conversion rate. SEO dwarfs this numbers because unlike any other form of online marketing the individuals who are clicking on your website from Google are highly motivated and are willing to give your website as much attention as it takes for them to pick up the phone or complete a contact form.
Source: Crazy Egg
3. 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine.
Most internet browsers open up to a Google window and, if they don’t, chances are whoever is online will end up on Google right away. The VAST majority of people turn to Google for information and/or solutions to their problems.
Source: im Forza
4. 95% of users don’t even scroll past the first page of the SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages).
Pay attention to what you do the next time you search. Chances are you enter a search phrase, click search, and click the first result, maybe the second and MAYBE the third. This is exactly how everyone else behaves as well. If you website is on page two, it’s invisible.
5. 50% of search queries consist of at least 4 words.
Depending on your industry, up to HALF of all search queries pertaining to your business are 4 or more words. Before launching any SEO campaign your chosen agency should run multiple analyses to ensure no stone is left un-turned.
Source: Search South
6. 21% of users access more than one of the search results.
1/5 people will click on one search result, go back, and click on another. That means 80% of people are clicking and calling. You need to be one of the websites that makes it easy to attract those people.
Source: SMA Marketing
7. Search engines drive 10 times more traffic to shopping sites than social media.
You may have thought Facebook was the most powerful traffic source for e-commerce/shopping websites. You’re wrong. Search engines are FAR more effective at driving not only MORE traffic to shopping websites but also higher converting traffic as well!
Source: Search Engine Land
8. How many people use search engines in the US? Estimates are 236.5 million.
This number continues to grow each and every day. People love using search engines on the phones, desktop computers AND tablets because it provides them with an instant source of information.
Image Source: Statista
Google Search Engine Stats
9. Google holds 74.75% of the search engine market share.
Google is king, no doubt about that. Even so, your strategy shouldn’t neglect other search engines as well. We recommend you optimize your site for Google search first, as it’ll obviously produce the largest ROI, then expand into lesser-used engines like Bing.
Source: Net Market Share
10. Over 5.5 billion searches are performed on Google every day.
Again, constantly growing. Text queries and voice queries are served up to Google at a rate we couldn’t possible comprehend.
Source: Internet Live Stats
11. On average, Google receives over 63,000 search queries every second.
That adds up to over 2 TRILLION searches per year. No other platform or traffic source has these kind of numbers.
Source: SEO Tribunal
12. Sites that make the first page on Google have an average of 1,890 meta words.
Content is very, very important to a well-developed, long-lasting, and highly-profitable SEO campaign. Google loves and rewards websites that go the extra mile to contribute original, high-quality content to their search results that consistently help people searching online for it.
Source: Small SEO Tools
13. You’re 53% more likely to show up on the first page of Google if you have a video on your homepage.
Videos can work, but be careful! Depending on the way you include the video on your page you can inadvertently cripple your site load speed, which will have a significant negative effect on your rankings for that page.
14. Fascinating Google page statistics: Up to 20% of Google queries are searched for the first time.
Humans are creative with what they search for, which is why it is important Google understand exactly what your website is about and how you can help people. (so they can send these people your way, even if their search queries are a bit odd).
15. Organic Google results with 3-4 words in the title drive higher CTR.
Be concise, but not so concise that it turns people off “Pizza Miami” will never beat “Best Pizza Miami Since 1997” in terms of click-through rate!
Source: Smart Insights
16. Search queries of the “__ to avoid” format have increased by 150%.
Stay on top of what your target customers are searching so you can adapt your strategy and capture new streams of traffic before your competitors!
Source: Smart Insights
17. 44% of website referral traffic goes through Google.
Although people’s trust in Google isn’t high, it’s consistent. Unlike other major social media platforms such as Facebook, Google strives to be as helpful as possible, and people clearly appreciate that.
Mobile SEO Stats
18. In 2020, there will be 221 million mobile phone search users in the US.
People are becoming more and more comfortable searching Google on their smartphones and, considering the average cost of a mobile device is just $200, it’s becoming more and more accessible to people every day!
19. 60% of Google searches are done via mobile devices.
For the first time, mobile searches have actually overtaken desktop searches. Maybe this is because people found out they can Google while in the work bathroom. Either way, build and optimize your website for mobile traffic first, the rest will fall in place!
20. Mobile-optimized sites are more trusted by 51% of consumers.
People do not want to have to scroll left or right to see your whole website. Make it mobile-friendly! Or you’ll lose over HALF the leads you could have had, they’ll just move on to the next website that IS mobile-friendly!
Source: Green Geeks
21. By 2021, mobile is predicted to dominate online sales, driving 54% in sales.
People are learning they are able to buy something they like with two taps and a face scan. No need to sit in front of a computer or call a number at the bottom of a TV commercial. If they want it, they can Google, find, and buy it …all in 3 minutes.
Source: The Webmaster
22. 69% of smartphone users are more likely to buy from companies whose sites answer their questions easily.
FAQ sections are HUGE! It shows the company you are doing business with knows their target customer and has taken the time to ask and address their most likely concerns!
23. The ideal load time on mobile devices is 5 seconds or less.
This five-second time is only applicable to cell phones, who are more likely to have mediocre service than a laptop or desktop computer. We personally strive to reduce our load times down below one second, regardless of the device used.
Source: Think With Google
24. 57% of consumers said they wouldn’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile website.
It just doesn’t look professional! Show that you care and get the mobile version of your site squared away, before you lose too much business!
Source: Think With Google
25. 27% of the global online population is using voice search on mobile.
Voice assistants eliminate the time required to type queries into search bars. So of course people will flock to them!
Source: Omnicore Agency
Image Source: Voice First Weekly